Monday, December 21, 2009

laughter is a leap

Song of Songs 2:8-14; Psalm 33 Exult, you just, in the Lord! Sing to him a new song; Luke 1:39-45

"For the moment the sound of your greeting reached m ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy."

"Seriousness is not a virtue. It would be a heresy, but a much more sensible heresy , to say seriousness is a vice. It is really a natural trend or lapse into taking one's self gravely, because it is the easiest thing to do. It is easier to write a good Times leading article than a good joke in Punch. For solemnity flows out of men naturally; but laughter is a leap. It is easy to be hard: hard to be light." G.K. Chesterton

"where joylessness reigns, where humor dies, the spirit of Jesus Christ is assuredly absent. But the reverse is also true: joy is a sign of grace. One who is cheerful from the bottom of his heart, one who has suffered but not lost joy, cannot be far from the God of the evangelium, whose first words on the threshold of the New Testament is 'Rejoice'." Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger now Pope Benedict XVI

It is amazing what we we can learn from a child, a child in the womb, who knew how to laugh and leap for joy.

Christmas is a time for leaping and laughing. Try it! You may agree that you like it.

Song of songs 2:8ff
"Hark! My lover-here he comes springing across the mountains, leaping across the hills. My lover is like a gazelle or a young stag...My lover speaks; he says to me, "Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one, and come!...Let me see you, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet and you are lovely."

The wedding of Song between God and Man as we prepare for the wedding between God and Man in the incarnation. The bride groom comes are we ready.

No comments: