Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Last day in August

Colossians 1:1-8; PS 52 I trust in the mercy of GOd forever; Lk 4:38-44

Tomorrow we welcome the month of September. We pray it is a little cooler and lot more wetter. August has been a beast.
Here I am on the last day of August and I find myself sick.

ANd I must confess, i am such a weenie when it comes to being sick. I just Mom. At 35, you would think i would have moved on, but all I want is her chicken noodle soup.

But, I am in cuero and have been sleeping most of the day with a pounding in my head. I long for tomorrow, though I know I should stop and find God in the presence of this summer flu.

After all, Jesus reveals is power and authority over health and well being primarily to the sick in the gospel. He got right where he needs me, on my knees growing in my awareness of my limitations and weakness.

Great!

Which brings me to the first reading today. St. Paul writes, "we always give thanks to God, the Father of Our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love you have for the holy ones because of the hope reserved for you in heaven."

For the sake of the hope in heaven, for the sake of things promised by Christ, Paul continued response is one of gratitude.

Regardless of the circumstances, sick or healthy, laid off or employed, emotional wreck or stable, thanksgiving is the only response that is appropriate for the gift that awaits.

Now we get the the gospel. " JEsus enters the house of Simon, and Simon's mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with him about her. He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and waited on them."

What a great gospel for my current state of sickness. Earlier this morning as I was lying in bed trying to stop the pounding in my head and the soreness in my throat, the doorbell rang here at the rectory.

I didn't get up to answer it. Perhaps it was JEsus coming to rebuke my fever and I let slide.

What beautiful reading though. They all interceded with Jesus to go and cure Simon's mother-in-law. This means that Simon must have really loved his mother-in-law. Secondly, it reminds us of our role as those who are called to intercede to Jesus on behalf of those who are in need.

We are warriors of intercession. We should never lose sight of that and never give up on that very important role we have received as belonging to the mystical body of Christ.

Which reminds me, pray on and when i get better i'll wait on you.

No comments: