Sunday, April 18, 2010

place of origin, place of encounter


Acts 5:27-41; Psalm 30 I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me; Rev 5:11-14; John 21:1-19

This past week I made a little trip to Houston. I went to visit a couple that is helping us get ready for WYD in Madrid, 2011. They are helping with travel, transportation, hotel and all that stuff.

This couple had never been to Houston before, so I was going to meet with them, take them to dinner and show them around a bit.

I gave them a mini tour of Houston, some hotspots I thought that were worthy experiencing.

On of the hotspots was the seminary, where I had spent 5 years of my life prior to being ordained.

When we drove up to the seminary, I was flooded with memories of times past. I pointed out the dining hall, the gym, the classrooms, the dormitories and the like. I couldn't help but think of the many meals, the fellowship, the studies, the laughs that the seminary provided those 5 years of my life. The last stop on the tour was the chapel.

When we opened the door to the chapel and walked in, instantly I felt transported to another time. This place was the place of origin.

This was the place I spent hours in prayer trying to figure out if God was truly calling me to be a priest. It was also the place I learned to serve at the altar as an acolyte, proclaim the word as a lector. It was the place I preached my first homily as an ordained minister.

I felt has if I was in that time all over again. The place of origin became a place of encounter. I could re experience those moments of joy, struggle, grace. It was a moment of renewal.

The place of origin became a place of encounter.

This happens to all of us.

Couples who revisit the place of their first date or first kiss describe similar experiences. They can tap into that moment of grace and be renewed.

I know a couple who each year goes back to the place of their proposal. The place where he knelt on one knees and held the ring, asked the question, and waited for her yes. The couple says it helps them recapture the magic and keep their love alive and fresh.


The place of origin becomes a place of encounter, a place of strength and renewal.

Today's gospel we encounter Peter and the apostles at the sea of Tiberias. The question is why?

Why are they at this sea, on this shore?

The Sea of Tiberias is part of the Sea of Galilee. The sea of Galilee is the place of origin. IT is the place in which Peter and the Apostles met Jesus for the first time. It is the place where they heard the words that would change their life for ever, "come, follow me."

Here they were invited to an intimate sharing of that living communion with Jesus.

But for the Apostles it was not enough to be in the place. They felt that if they were doing what they were doing then, perhaps it would deepen their experience. So, they go into the boat and went fishing. It was a Deja vu experience.

They wanted to recapture the magic, the moment of grace. They wanted to re experience that first encounter and perhaps gain new insight, new strength, new direction for their life.

The gospel reminds us to also go back to our original experience of Jesus in our life. We are called to use it a source of grace and refreshment and renewal throughout our life. Each encounter with Jesus is never met to be just a past experience but an experience we can bring into the present moment and draw strength for tomorrow.

And while they were fishing, it happen like before.

Jesus stands on the shore and guides them, "cast your net to the other side." These were the first words of Jesus to the Apostles on their first encounter. He told then to cast to the other side.

The place of origin becomes a place of encounter and has a lasting impact.

The beloved disciple recognizes Jesus and Peter responds by jumping into the sea.

Why does Peter Jump into the sea?

At first glance we think it is because of his excitement and enthusiasm to greet the Lord. but n fact, the enthusiasm is founded on self shame. Peter has a secret that only he and Jesus share knowledge.

Peter remembers his denial, three times that night JEsus was arrested. Perhaps he swims to JEsus to get to him before the others and try to make amends before the others find out what a coward he really was. The enthusiasm of shame is a great motivated.

How often have we been in those shoes. How often have we tried to secretly right a wrong hoping our friends or family don't find out?

Jesus doesn't rub Peter's nose in it. Jesus doesn't beat him over the head. Jesus gives him the opportunity to make amends with a simple question: "Simon, son of John, do yu love me more the these...Feed my lambs."

Jesus invites people to show his love, to set aside the apologies, set aside the shame and just get busy with letting love lead the way of healing.

Feed my sheep, tend my lamps, feed my sheep.

Three times, Jesus invites Peter to undo what he did and allow the denial be turn into love in service.

The encounter with Jesus is always met to take our denial and turn it, transform it into loving service. The true and authentic means of Identifying a real encounter: does the denial we make in our lives become an opportunity to love in service others.

The place of origin becomes a place of encounter and again we are invited to follow him, He will show us what love is suppose to be.




No comments: