Wednesday, June 30, 2010

martyr-ology

This week is a week for the martyrs.

Monday we celebrate the feast of St. Irenaeus, bishop and martyr in the early 2nd century. Yesterday we celebrated the martyrdom of Peter and Paul around the year 64 AD. And today we celebrate the first martyrs of Rome.

There is a whole lot of dying in the early church. The church itself is raised from the ground on the foundation of the those who ought to give their life completely to Christ, shedding their blood as He shed his.

Keeping that in mind.

When i was in the seminary as a student discerning the call to the priesthood, there was a moment where i hit a rough spot. In fact there were many moments where I hit rough patches along the way.

This particular rough patch was in my first few moments in the seminary. I was struggling and i could not understand why. I figured if i were doing God's will then it should be easy. (at least i mistakenly thought)

The someone gave a book to read and they thought it might help me. The book was entitled, The Road Less Traveled.

I opened the book and I remember the first lines of the first chapter of the book. The line went as follows, "Life is a struggle."

I stopped reading the book after the opening lines penetrated my cerebral folds. I was both shocked and relieved by those words. No one had ever told me life was a struggle. I had gone through assuming that it was suppose to be easy.

Life is a struggle.

It is true. Life is a struggle. There is suffering in life.
We cannot avoid it. We cannot escape it. We cannot have life without it.

But we can choose what we will suffer for. We can choose what we will struggle with.

This is what the martyrs in the church teach us and model for us.

We may never eliminate the struggle. We may never eliminate the suffering, But if we choose to suffer and struggle for that which is beyond ourselves than we will truly know fullness of joy and the abundance of life.

This is what martyr-ology is all about. The study of how to live our life in the midst of embracing the struggling and suffering that comes our way.

In the words of St. Irenaeus: THe Glory of God is man alive.
In the words of St. Paul: I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me...THe Lrod stood by me and gave me strength. (2 Timothy 4:6ff)

In the words of St. Peter: Do not be surprised beloved that a trial by fire is occurring in your midst. It is a test gor you, but it should not catch you off guard. Rejoice instead, in the measure that you share i Christ's sufferings. When his glory is revealed you shall rejoice exultantly. (1 Peter 4:12ff)


In the words of JEsus: You will suffer in the world. But take courage, I have overcome the world. (John 16:32ff)


Life is a struggle. True life is struggling with Christ and living the faith.

No comments: