Thursday, September 19, 2013

DO YOU SEE

1 timothy 4:12-16; Ps 111 How great are the works of the lord; Luke 7:36-50

The first reading details the passing on of the office of presbyterate (priesthood) as St. PAul describes the laying on hands, the "with the imposition of hands by the presbyterate."

IT reminds me of my ordination as I knelt before the bishop and he imposed his hands over me with the invocation of the Spirit and then came the priest, so many of them who extended their hands and prayed over me me as I was invested as a priest of Jesus Christ.

Here I am now 7 years into the priesthood and still find myself feeling like Timothy in some regards, my youth can sometimes get in the way it seems.  The words of St. Paul are strong reminders, "set an example for those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity...attend to yourself and your teaching, persevere in both tasks,f or by doing so you will save both yourself and those who listen to you."

I must say it is pretty good advise.

Then we turn our attention to the gospel.  The Pharisee invites Jesus to dine and while there a "sinful woman" as Luke describes her enters in the house.  She bathe JEsus' feet with her tears, wiped them with her hair, kissed them and anointed them with ointment.

Wow! What a scene that must have been.

The Pharisee immediately criticizes.  How often is that us?  How often do we jump to judgment and negative criticism rather empathy.

Do we criticize or empathize?

JEsus with his question direct us to compassion and empathy, "Do you see this woman?"

That is the question for us.  Do we see the least that gather around us daily.  Do we see those who are least important?  Are our eyes wide open or shut by critique and judgment?

Do we see?

"One to whom little is forgiven loves little."  Why?

When we begin to judge the size our sins we are presuming the role of God.  When we judge that we are not in need of forgiveness then we have already begun to close ourself to love.

Forgiveness enriches love and love empowers forgiveness.

No comments: