Tuesday, May 20, 2014

PEACE I GIVE

ACTS 14:19-28; Ps 145 Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your kingdom; John 14:27-31a

Jesus says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  Not as the world give do I give it to you…"

The world offers peace that is intimately wrapped up immaterial possessions.  The world promises peace by giving things, money, retirement benefits, socials security and the like.  The world offers peace by giving more of that which belongs to the world.

Jesus offers peace not by giving but by subtracting.  Jesus wants to take things away and create space for the true giver of Peace that in dwelling of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus comes to remove our attachment to things of the world so that we can be attached to him and him alone as we journey forth.

The world gives and in doing so never truly satisfies. Jesus comes to take away in doing so brings security and lasting peace by his in dwelling.

What does this peace consist?

Throughout the gospel of John, Jesus becomes cryptic in his message.  As we move through the chapters 14 and following it becomes difficult to understand the words of Jesus but a few things are prominent.

Jesus says this over and over, "whoever loves me will beloved by my Father and I will love him and reveal myself to him."  This is the foundation of lasting peace.

Not that this love is in us but this same love is offered to others, to everyone we meet along the way.  When we realize this truth then we stop looking upon others with suspicious eyes and begin to recognize in them the very presence of Christ the Prince of Peace himself.   This perhaps is the peace Jesus wishes to give.

No comments: