Thursday, June 4, 2015

RAPHAEL

Tobit 3:1-11,16-17; Psalm 25 To you O lord, I lift my soul; Mark 12:18-27

In today's reading from the book of Tobit we are introduced to Raphael, the archangel.  He is commissioned by God to do several things.  He is sent to bring healing to Tobit who has lost his eyesight, but not only his eyesight he seems to have fallen in ill will toward his wife.  His marriage is in need of fixing as well.

Then Raphael is also sent to bring peace to a trouble daughter of God, Sarah, who seems to have the great misfortune of having her husbands die on her before consummation due to a certain "demon" that is attached to her.  Perhaps it is some sort of possession, it is unclear why the demon is fixated on Sarah and attacks who husbands on the night of consummation.  But she has buried 7 husbands and is being abused and made fun of by her family.  She is distraught and on the verge of taking her own life.

There is turmoil, misfortune, and despair brewing in the two lives and in the lives of their families.

Now, a quick note.  We often seek the intercession of St Michael to defend us in battle and to protect us against the onslaught of the temptation.  And rightly so.  But I suspect we need little raphael as well in our life especially in regards to our relationships.  Raphael seems to be the one God sends to help lead us through the evil stat are often intertwined when two hearts seek to become one.

These are the words of sacred scripture in regards to Tobit and Sarah, "So Raphael was sent to heal them both: to remove the cataracts form Tobit's eyes, so that he might again see God's sunlight; and to marry Raguel's daughter Sarah to Tobit's son Tobiah, and the drive the wicked demon Asmodeus from her."

There it is.

Raphael brings healing, shows the path for love to blossom in a relationship, and handles decisively he evil the is plaguing God's children.


Should we not ask god's messenger Raphael to help us see more clearly and to guide us in our relationships and especially to tune is in when evil is trying to reek havoc in our lives and relationships.

Here is a prayer for those like Sarah seeking a companion for the journey:

Prayer to St. Raphael
St. Raphael, loving patron of those seeking a marriage partner, help me in this supreme decision of my life. Find for me as a helpmate in life the person whose character may reflect some of the traits of Jesus and Mary. May he (she) be upright, loyal, pure, sincere and noble, so that with united efforts and with chaste and unselfish love we both may strive to perfect ourselves in soul and body, as well as the children it may please God to entrust to our care.
St. Raphael, angel of chaste courtship, bless our friendship and our love that sin may have no part in it. May our mutual love bind us so closely that our future home may ever be most like the home of the Holy Family of Nazareth. Offer your prayers to God for the both of us and obtain the blessing of God upon our marriage, as you were the herald of blessing for the marriage of Tobiah and Sarah.
St. Raphael, friend of the young, be my friend, for I shall always be yours. I desire ever to invoke you in my needs.
To your special care I entrust the decision I am to make as to my future husband (wife). Direct me to the person with whom I can best cooperate in doing God's Holy Will, with whom I can live in peace, love and harmony in this life, and attain to eternal joy in the next. Amen.
In honor of St. Raphael: Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be.


And another as part of a novena:
Most merciful Archangel Raphael, who faithfully accompanied young Tobias from Nineveh to Media, please accompany me, a wretched sinner, on this dangerous journey through life on earth to my eternal home in Heaven.  Glory be to the Father. . .
 
Most wise Archangel Raphael, while walking beside the Tigris River, saved the young Tobias from death, teaching him how to obtain control of the fish which threatened his life, save my life also from the attacks of the evil one who threatens the sanctity of my soul. 
Glory be to the Father. . .
 
Most powerful Archangel Raphael, who by a miracle of God, restored the precious gift of sight to the blind Tobit, heal me, free me from spiritual blindness and lift the veil of spiritual blindness of the world, so that we may come to know and love the divine splendor of Truth, who is Jesus our Lord, God and Redeemer. Protect me from deception, and help me to live and honor God’s laws.  
Glory be to the Father. . .
 
Holy Raphael, I have confidence in your intercession. Pray for me during this novena especially for …
(mention silently your special intentions).
 
 Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be . . .

No comments: