Friday, March 12, 2010

awww!


Hosea 14:2-10; Psalm 81 I am the Lord your God hear my voice; Mark 12:28-34

When I was in college I remember picking up a book by Jack Kerouac called On the Road and in it he describes his journey across the U.S. As I was reading the gospel today I couldn't help but be drawn to a few words he uses in the book:

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like a yellow roman candle exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes 'AWWW."

It made me think of Jesus' words about what it means to "love the Lord your God with all you heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength...Love your neighbor as yourself."

Then we truly are not far from the kingdom of God.

And people will see us and go "AWWW" for we are mad to live for God alone.

1 comment:

Mr. K said...

Very nice quote. But I do know that desiring too many things have left me feeling empty and unfulfilled..perhaps desiring little will make for a happier person.