Wednesday, March 31, 2010

holy week continues


As we enter into Holy week and prepare for Holy Thursday and Good Friday and Easter Vigil, here are few words from the letter of Hebrews to move us along this journey...

"Do not refuse to hear him who speaks.

For if the Israelites did not escape punishment when they refused to listen as God spoke to them on earth, how much greater punishment will be ours if we turn away from him who speaks from heaven!

His voice then shook the earth, but now he promised, "I will once more shake not only earth but heaven!" And that "once more" shows that shaken, created things will pass away, so that only what is unshaken may remain.

Wherefore we who are receiving the unshakable kingdom should hold fast to God's grace, through which we may offer worship acceptable to him in reverence and awe. For our God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:25-29

"Once again Jesus cried out in a loud voice,and then gave up his spirit. Suddenly the curtain of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked, boulders split, tombs opened...Centurian and his men were keeping watch over Jesus were terror stricken at seeing the earthquake and all that was happening, and said, "clearly this was the Son of God." Matthew 27:50-54

May you be shaken this week and come to know the fire that seeks to consume and recreate you anew.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Father David,
I received God's grace a year ago. The wave of enlightenment that came over me was definitely my soul being consumed by the fire of His love for me and for all His people. I pray that every moment of my earthly life, down to each breath I take, each beat of my heart and every thought that He has given me be acceptable to Him in reverence and awe. Each year Holy Week is so intense for me that I become stressed. I asked someone today how something so beautiful(His willing to die to save us)be so sad and horrific at the same time(the crucifixion)? The religious stated "It is His love" All these new realizations/love/graces that were given to me by the Holy Spirit are very overwhelming at times. I'm craving something spiritual, I'm not sure what it is that God is asking me to do(a common question).
Should I seek a spiritual director?

parishpriestblogger said...

yes but do so with discernment. Ask the Lord to guide you. Perhaps you should make a novena to the HOly SPirit to aid you in seeking a spiritual director.

The answer you are seeking should culminate in peace.