Monday, May 23, 2011

Preparing for the Spirit


Todays gospel gets us stirred up in anticipation of the coming of the Holy spirit, which we celebrate at Pentecost.


Listen to the words of JEsus, "I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy SPirit whom the Father will send in my name he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you."



Usually in the church there is a Novena of prayers which start nine days before Pentecost to prepare our mind and hearts for that celebration.


This year Pentecost is on June 12th which means we should begin our prayer to the Holy Spirit 9 days prior, which would be June 2nd, Ascension Thursday. According to the Biblical record Jesus Ascended 40 days after Easter and Pentecost was experienced 50 days after Easter. So a Novena is that prayer which enters into the that time of waiting, waiting for the power of God to be made manifest.

Each day you say a prayer invoking the HOly SPirit to come. YOu try to do it at the same time so pick a time in your day when you can truly enter into the prayer, not rushed or hurried.


Here below are a few links with Novenas to the Holy Spirit. MArk your calendar and enter into this time preparing your hearts and mind for the coming of the Spirit.


Novena at EWTN

Here is one at Catholicculture.org

Here is another site you will finds a lot of prayers to the Holy Spirit, just click and scroll

Here is a prayer composed by St. Josemaria Escriva

Come, O Holy Spirit:
enlighten my understanding
to know your commands;
strengthen my heart
against the wiles of the enemy;
inflame my will…
I have heard your voice,
and I don’t want to harden
my heart by resisting,
by saying ‘later…tomorrow.”
Nunc coepi! Now!
Lest there be no tomorrow for me!
O, Spirit of truth and wisdom,
Spirit of understanding and counsel,
Spirit of joy and peace!
I want what you want,
I want it because you want it,
I want it as you want it,
I want it when you want it.


Get your prayer on!

No comments: