Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Breathe on me

On this wednesday a song to soothe and comfort...

"Breathe on me, breath of God, Until my heart is pure,
Until with you I have one will,
To live and to endure

Breathe on me, breath of God,
My soul with grace refine,
Until this earthly part of me,
Glows with your fire divine.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
So I shall never die,
But live with you the perfect life
In your eternity
."

Exodus 3:1-6, 9-12

Today in the first reading we have described for us the encounter with God. Moses experiences this "remarkable sight", this bush on fire but not consumed; his curiosity brings him face to face with the angel of God who speaks to him.

Curiosity is an amazing thing. How often is our curiosity is misdirected? How often are we curious about all the wrong things?

How often do we find ourselves putting our noses in other people's business?

Yet, curiosity when used correctly can be a great gift. Moses is curious about the bush, about the fire, and he allow sit to move him forward.

His will is engaged and just a short few steps his curiosity about good things and remarkable things brings him face to face with the living God.

In this moment of moments, Moses discovers the truth about God. God is one who hears, for "the cry of the children of Israel have reached" him.

He also discovers that god desires to be worshiped, for"I will be with you; and this shall be your proof that it is I who have sent you; when you bring my people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this very mountain."


He lastly he discovers that God is not bound to a place as was often understood but rathe He chooses to bind himself to people. God is a God who journeys with us, for he is the "God of Abraham, Isaac, the God of Jacob."

God has entered the history of humanity and he has chosen to make our history his own.

Th story of salvation history is manifested before Moses, before us. Our history no longer belongs to us alone, but we walk wiht God as he walks with us.

Words from the Pope
"God is not far from us, he is not somewhere out in the universe, somewhere that none of us can go. He has pitched his tent among us: in Jesus he became one of us, flesh and blood just like us. thi si shis tent. And in the Ascension, he did not go somewhere away from us. His tent, he himself in his Body, remains among us and is one of us. We call him by name and speak at ease with him. He listens to us and, if we are attentive, we can also hear him speaking back. Let me repeat: In Jesus, it is God who "camps' in our midst."

No comments: