Tuesday, July 26, 2011

grandparents of Jesus


Exodus 33:7-11; 34:5-9, 28; Ps 103 The Lord is kind and merciful; Matthew 13:36-43

Today in the church we celebrate the feast of Saints Joachim and Anne the parents of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the grandparents of JEsus.

Today take a few moments to consider where you come from. Genealogies are a big thing today. Everyone wants to map out their family tree, to see where they come from.

But today, take a few moments to map out your spiritual genealogy. Where does you faith come from? Who introduced you to Christ, to the life of faith? Where did you learn to pray and speak and converse with God?


Who was instrumental in your journey? Locate your roots, your spiritual roots and say a prayer for those people today. Be grateful!

I think about my grandmother on my father's side. I remember growing up watching her pray and speak with God. I remember kneeling at her bedside praying the rosary with my family.

I think about her faith in the midst of her suffering. Though she lost five sons and a husband early in life, she never wavered and she persevered in faith.

This is my root of my spiritual or faith based genealogical Tree. Here it begins and slowly branches outward.

I can only imagine who passed the faith to my grandmother. I never asked but I wished I did.

We hear the words of Moses, "If I find favor with you, O Lord, do come along in our company. THis is a stiff necked people; yet pardon our wickedness and sins, and receive us as your own."

"Do come along in our company."

Think of all the people who have kept the presence of God alive in the midst of our pilgrimage on earth. How many have guarded the faith and passed it on, keeping Jesus present in our company?

What a gift!

St. Joachim and St. Anne pray for us

1 comment:

Daddy's Girls said...

Such a beautiful and poweful thing to recall from time to time! Finding our path to God would be next to impossible without the example of those that have ventured before us! Thank you for reminding me to remember!