Friday, September 23, 2011

promise keeper

Haggai 2:1-9; Psalm 43 Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God; Luke 9:18-22

Yesterday,I was visiting the 3k class room while they were painting their fish, with finger paint. As they were painting , i told them that i would learn all their names. So I went down the list and put to memory 15 names.

They were all impressed.

So i told them I would mention their names at mass on friday morning. They were all excited.

This morning, As i began my homily, i was again acknowledged the 3k class who were sitting front and eager to be acknowledged. As I was going down the list of names, i realized Iw as short a few names. In fact, their were four i could not remember. One of those young 3k's name that i could not remember happened to have to the same name as me.

Image! Of all the names I forgot, i could i possible forget, the 3K whose name was David. But I Did. The rest of the school thought it was the funniest thing.

Our memory isn't full proof. We forget. We forget often.

But, the reading point to the reality that God doesn't forget. IN fact Haggai, in the first reading for today, reminds the people, ""For I am with you, says the Lord of hosts. This is the pact that I made with you, when you came out of Egypt, ANd my spirit continues to be in your midst."

Think about that for a moment. The time between the Red sea crossing and the egyptian event and the prophet Haggai speaking is roughly 1200 years. 1200 years had passed and yet God recalls it to his people that he has no intention of forgetting and every intention of following through.

God remembers. God keeps his promises.

When JEsus speaks of the suffering he must endure in the gospel, he is thinking of God who carries out his promise.

We may forget. But God does not. In fact the reason we are asked to go to mass on Sunday and celebrate in the community is so that by celebrating, we remember; we remember that God remembers.

God is a promise keeper. In Christ, he comes to keep us.

No comments: