Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Jealous of Jesus

Mark 1:29-39; Hebrews 2:14-1 8

I find myself at times jealous of Jesus. I see how he moves in the gospel passage and I am fascinated with how much time he has to devote to the people around him doing things like preaching and casting out demons.

As a parish priest, at least here lately, I have been spending my time dealing with building boards and leaky roofs and renovations and adding bathrooms.

I wonder how Jesus would deal with that stuff.

I have to constantly remind myself that even adding bathrooms is part of the evangelization process.

We read today from the letter of Hebrews: "through death, Jesus, might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the Devil, and free those who through fear of death had been subject to slavery all their life."

Fear!
Fear is a fascinating reality.  In the beginning there wasn't fear.  Fear came about because of the fall, original sin.

Imagine what life would be like without fear?
What are our fears?

Think about how fear can affect us and the decisions we make. How often is fear the deciding factor in our life?

How often does them phrase "I am afraid..." Come up in or conversations.

In light of the first reading and in light of what Christ does is there reason for fear.
Have we not see lived out the reality that love cast out fear.

Be attentive to fear and seek to the truth of God's love drive it away.

No comments: