Thursday, January 2, 2014

WHO ART THOU

1 john 2:22-28; Ps 98 all the ends of the earth have seen the saving power of God; John 1:19-28

Who are you?

This the question posed to John the Baptist.

How would we answer that question if posed to us?

Should we not ask ourselves this question routinely.

First in answering the question we must acknowledge who God is: I am who am or He who is.  This is how God, the creator,  has chosen to reveal his substance to us as related through the experience of Moses and the bush on fire yet not consumed.

If God is 'He who is' then what does that make us as creature?  Simply put in short answer form, "I am that who is not, at least who has existence not on its own but only from another.  And this existence has been redeemed by another as well.  Both my existence and my continued existence belongs to another.

Who am I?  I am one who has received a gift undeservingly.  I am a debtor.  And how can I make good on such a debt?

John the Baptist shows us in his response to the question 2000 years ago, "I am the voice of one crying out in the desert, Make straight the way of the Lord."

John continues to confess without denial that he was not the Christ.  Here we encounter the duty of a faithful servant: never to covet the master's glory and to ward off the glory lavished by the crowd."

In other words John simply states the fact, " I am nothing because if I am anything , I have it from another who is God."




No comments: