Thursday, September 4, 2008

No buts about it

1 corinthians 3:18-23; Psalm 24 To the Lord belongs the earth and all that fills it; Luke 5:1-11 

Jesus walks along the lake.  Jesus teaches the crowd.  Jesus gets into the boat.  Jesus sits down and continues to teach.  These things are acceptable.  There are no buts about it.  

Then Jesus tells the fishermen how to fish.  "Put out into the deep water and lower your nets."

Peter gets a little frustrated.  How dare Jesus interfere with his profession.  It is Peter's job to fish and Jesus' to teach and preach. Now he has crossed the line.  Before there was no but about it as long he focused on his mission, now there is but.

Yes, Lord we have fished all night and caught nothing.  Nothing we have caught all night. Peter responds to the request; this is what I do for a living; I know these waters; I know my men; I know we can't catch anything.  I know we should turn back and not waste our time...

But at your command Lord...

What a beautiful but.

There is room for one "but" in the life of the Christian, "But at your command Lord."
This is why we do what we do!

No comments: