Sunday, July 26, 2009


2 kings 4:42-44; Psalm 145 THe hand of the Lord feeds us; he answers all our needs; Ephesians 4:1-6; John 6:1-15

Two things come to mind as I ponder these readings especially the second reading where St. Paul invites us to "live in a manner worthy of the call you have received."

One:
How many of us remember the words of John F. Kennedy in his inaugural address in 1961.
We may not remember everything, but we know bits and pieces, most famously of course, "and so fellow Americans, "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

These words have echoed in various places and times over the past 48 years since they were first spoken. 

Prior to this particular passage, John F. Kennedy stated something else, I find more striking.  In the beginning of his speech, after greeting all the dignitaries he states this, "we dare not forget today that we are heirs of the first revolution...and the torch has been passed to a new generation."  

We are heirs of the first revolution!

This is what St. Paul is telling the Christians community in Ephesus.  St. Paul is in prison, bound and chains, and drawing to the end of his life.  He is on his way out.  He is about to be executed; he is about to lose his head because the world had lost its mind. 

These are some of his last words to the Christians.  He is trying to encourage them, untie them, and spur them on.  He wants then to raise the standard of Christ and bear it fruitfully; he is passing on the torch. 

He is saying, "ask not what God can do for you, but what you can do for God."

Second point. 
Today as I woke from sleep, I spied across my bedroom the crucifix on the wall.  It is the only  thing I have hanging on my wall in the my bedroom, besides a clock that doesn't  work, that perpetually reads 5:50. 

The crucifix is the last thing I see before I go sleep and the first thing I welcome when I awake. 

This morning I was struck by the crucifix, though not literally.  The meaning of the crucifix struck me.  What does it mean, Jesus hanging on the tree.  Immediately we think, salvation and redemption.  I believe most of us believers are pro redemption, pro salvation.  I have never seen a protester, though by our sins we protest.

But for the most part, we are pro salvation. But on another note, the crucifixion is God's answer of yes to a history of no's.  It is God's answer to Adam and Eve's fall; it is God's answer to the devil's rebellion.  The crucifixion is a revolution.  

On the cross, Heaven rebels against hell.  As believers, we are heirs of this revolution.  This is the call we have received, this is the call St. Paul urges us to embrace.

We are called to stand with Christ and fight the good fight.
As we raise the standard of Christ, upon our lips is pressed our battle cry, "on earth as it is  in heaven."

Thus, we live in a manner worthy of the call; let heaven rebel and the earth rejoice with those who choose to stand with the cross.

Lest we forget we are heirs...lest we are forgotten.

No comments: