Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meeting Tent

Ex 33:7-11;34:5-9,28; Psalm 103  The Lord is kind and merciful; Mt 13:36-43

We continue our journey with Moses. 

In today's first reading we have an excerpt from chapter 33 and and excerpt from ch 34.  Chapter 33 deals with Moses entering the Tent of Meeting where as 34 deals with Moses on Mt. Sinai. 

There is a disjunct in the reading.  The excerpt from ch 33 ends with the words "Joshua, son of Nun, would not move out of the Tent" and then ch 34 picks up with "Moses stood there with the Lord."

Unfortunately we miss what happens in between.  In verse 33:12-22 is the conversation Moses has in the Tent of Meeting with God.  It is his prayer, his intimate dialogue, his communion with God.  It is a beautiful passage worth meditating on for us to understand prayer in our own lives. 

"Moses said to the Lord, "You, in deed, are telling me to lead this people on; but you  have not let me know whom you will send with me.  Yet, you have said, 'Yo are my intimate friend,' and 'You have found  favor with me.'  Now, If I have found favor with you, do let me know your ways so that in knowing you I may continue to find favor with you."

What a beautiful relationship, what a beautiful prayer on the lips of Moses for the heart of man.

No comments: