Friday, October 16, 2009

where is the crowd

Romans 4:1-8; Psalm 32 I turn to you, Lord, in time of trouble, and you fill me with joy of salvation; Lk 12:1-7

The gospel starts off today with a beautiful image, "at that time: so many people were crowding together that they were trampling one another underfoot."

What an image! What a testimony to the charisma of Jesus, his drawing power.

As I look around they I cannot wonder but where have all the crowds gone.

The churches are getting emptier and emptier. The people scatter rather than gather. The people stand alone rather than in crowds.


Has Jesus lost his drawing power?
Or have the People become to desensitized to their own needs.

Perhaps people are afraid; maybe they are afraid it is true what Jesus says, "there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known."

In order to be part of the crowd one must let go of the secret life, one must choose to be publicly known, the private affair has to end.

Like the pharisees we find ourselves afraid of the wrong things in life. We are afraid of being found out, when we should really be afraid of never letting it be made known.

As the Psalmist exhorts us,"I acknowledge my sins to you, my guilt I covered not. I confess my faults and you took away the guilt of my sin. Be glad in the Lord and rejoice."

today we celebrate the 31 year anniversary of the election John Paul II to the Chair of Peter...
He began his papacy with an invitation of Faith: "you are Christ, the Son of the living God."

May we make that same act of faith each and every day.





No comments: