Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yoke of Christ


Isaiah 26:7-9,12,16-19; Psalm 102 From heaven the Lord looks down on earth; Matthew 11:28-30

Quote from St. Bonaventure, whose feast we celebrate as doctor of the church

"Lord, Jesus Christ, pierce my soul with your love that I may always long for you alone, who are the bread of angels and the fulfillment of the soul's deepest desires. May my heart always hunger for you, so that my soul may be filled with the sweetness of your presence."


Today Jesus in the gospel invites us to carry his yoke, "take my yoke upon yourself, for my yoke is easy my burden light."

What is the yoke of Christ?

Jesus came into the world to give us the grace of renewal and conversion. Came to set us free. But before he could do that he had to carry our burden of sin and fault. JEsus teaches us how to bear the burden of another's sins. JEsus teaches us how to deal with the faults of others.


By suffering the sins of others; by bearing with our faults he teaches us the mercy of God. He tolerates our faults so has to bring us the grace of conversion.

This is his yoke.

May we learn to bear it as well and thus in God's good grace bring that conversion to others. It is the goodness of God that keeps us running the race of faith, struggling along side by side in his gentle embrace.

Ultimate the yoke of Christ is the love he has for his father and the love he has for us; this is what keeps him steadfast in standing in the mercy of God with arms outstretched.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Padre,

I hope you are doing well. We miss you here in Victoria!

I am still causing trouble here: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/jared-of-victoria/2010/jul/15/you-are-more-than-a-sum-of-your-parts/