Thursday, November 4, 2010

supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus



Philippians 3:3-8; Psalm 105; Luke 15:1-10
Today is the feast of St.charles borromeo. He is a man I often look to for enouragement and genuine push in the back side when I need to get moving.

He was born in a castle and he lived like a rock star.

He was athletic, loved music and the arts and really loved fine dining. He definetely understood the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

His uncle was the Pope, which means he had the world at his finger tips, power in his pockets, all he had to do was say the word.

In fact, once when he was a young adult while playing billiards, he was asked what he would do if he new he had 45 minutes left to live. His response was, "I'll keep playing billiards."

He had no cares in thr world, and worldly cares were on his mind.

Then something happened. In the lives of the saints, something always happens.

He chose to beocme a priest. He gave up all. In fact he became archbishop of Milan and soon sold everything he had to care for the sick and dying. When the famine and plague struck he was ministering to the sick an dying. He would walk through the streets barefoot with a noose around his neck begging God to take him as a sacrifice for the people and for mercy.


There was an attempt on his life, while he was praying, though the bullet did not penetrate the vestments he was wearing. He burned himself out trying to serve the Lord.


In fact, the doctor, upon St. Charles' death bed, commented that Charles was a like a oil lamp that had extinguished because it just exhausted his oil supply.

His last words before he died were, "See, Lord, I am coming. I am coming soon."

Quite a difference from his early remarks about playing billiards.

St. Charles' life echoes the sentiments of St. Paul: "I consider everything as a loss because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord."

A taste of Jesus far out weighs any material advancement in the world.

"...supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my lord."

He lived out the words of Robert Frost, "I have a promise to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."

St.Charles Pray for us all.

In the words of the gospel, "Rejoice with me for I have found my lost sheep...and there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

No comments: