Saturday, December 10, 2011

How do I listen???

Isaiah 61:1-2,10-11; My soul rejoices in my God; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24; John 1:6-8,19-28

A poem:
How
DO I
Listen to others?
As if everyone were my Master
Speaking to me
His
Cherished
Last
Words.

Look at the gospel today, this 3rd Sunday of advent.

listen the words of the John the Baptist as he responds to the Pharisee's question: "But there is one among you whom you do not recognize, the one who is coming after me..."

Think about that cryptic statement: the one you do not recognize, the one who is among you.

Imagine, knowing that the Messiah was in your midst, hiding in plain sight. He could be anyone, he could be everyone, he could be one of us and all of us.

Would that change how we listened? Would that change how we respond? Would we be more attentive and on edge and on the look out? Would that be enough to truly get us rejoicing?

THe verse in the bible that follows today's gospel where it left off is John 1:29, "The next day he saw JEsus coming toward him and said, "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world."

The next day he saw Jesus coming. The next day is always right around the corner.
BE attentive, be ready, be alert!

How
Do I
Listen to others?
As if everyone were my Master
Speaking to me
His
Cherished
Last
Words.

No comments: