Sunday, April 22, 2012

Look

Acts 3:13-5; Ps Lord, let your face shoe on us; 1 John 2:1-5; Luke 24:35-48

The words of Jesus in the gospel should remain echoing in our hearts and minds, "Look at my hands and feet, that it is I myself."

These words of JEsus are given to the apostles in response to their fear and terror that had seized them in the upper room. As terror pressed in from all sides and fear began to weaken their knees, it is the wounds of Christ that bring them back to a place of peace and reassurance.

How often in our life does terror and fear seek to capture our hearts and minds? How often are we on the verge of being paralyzed by that inner turmoil? In these moments, our minds and hearts race for a solution, a way out.

And here in the upper room, Jesus gives us that place of peace, that place of security, that place where fear and terror can no longer live, "Look at my hands and feet that it is I myself."

What a beautiful gift for us as we journey here and now. What masterpiece has God worked, where the wounds of sadness and pain become the source of secure joy in our life!

In the wounds of the resurrected Christ, joy and love that cast our all fear has entered into our world.

As the psalmist echoes forth, "When I call, answer me, O my just God, you who relieve me when I am in distress; have pity on me, and hear my prayer!...O Lord let the light of your countenance shine upon us! You put gladness into my hearts."

Through the glorified body of Christ that bears the wounds of love, joy has entered in and fear has been defeated and scattered.

"Look at my hands and feet that it is I myself."

Indeed, take a look, see it again and again and know the peace and joy that Christ can bring.

No comments: