Tuesday, November 13, 2012

older women

Titus 2:1-8,11-14; Ps 39 The salvation of the Just comes from the lord; Luke 17:7-10

As I was reading the first reading and came across these words of St. Paul,

"Similarly, older women should be reverent in their behavior, not slanderers, not addicted to drink, teaching what is good, so that they may train younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, chaste, good homemakers, under the control of their husbands, so that the word of God may not be discredited"

My first thoughts went to the Ronnie McDowell song I would hear growing up on the radio, 680 am KKYX.

The song lyrics are as follows

Older women, make beautiful lovers
Older women, they understand

I've been around some, and I have discovered
That older women know just how to please a man.

Everybody seems to love those younger women
From eighteen on up to twenty-five
Well I love 'em too, but I'm tellin' you
Learnin' how to really love, takes a little time.
Older women, make beautiful lovers
Older women, they understand
I've been around some, and I have discovered
That older women know just how to please a man.

So baby don't you worry about growin' older
Those young girls ain't got one thing on you
It takes some living, to get good at giving
And givin' love is just where you could teach them a thing or two.

Older women, make beautiful lovers
Older women, they understand
I've been around some, and I have discovered
That older women know just how to please a man.

Older women, make beautiful lovers
Older women, they understand
I've been around some, and I have discovered
That older women know just how to please a man.

Older women, make beautiful lovers
Older women, they understand
I've been around some, and I have discovered
That older women know just how to please a man.

In deed it does take some living to get good at giving and giving love is just where they could teach a thing or two...

I always loved that song growing up and now I know why.  Who would thought that Ronnie Mcdowell was such a fan of St. Paul. 

But the scope of the reading, at least St. Paul in the letter to Titus is simply this, "be a good example."  Our lives should be such that others learn from us the path of goodness. 

The problem with our current generation is that they have no one to look up to, no one to show them the proper way of reverence and respect.    This is where we have failed as a society, especially as an entertainment enterprise. 

Movies and TV series or sitcoms are no longer about showing the proper way to live or the proper behavior for the betterment of society or for the common good, rather it is all very self centered and simply reduced to getting laughs. 

Reverence, self-control, chaste, good home makers, are not laughing matters.  As they go so goes the family, so goes society. 

If you don't believe me, just open your eyes and look around. Unfortunately, our older men and women are leading the charge in moral decay.  Rather than being a good example, exemplifying the character of a true Christian they are self absorbed and concerned with feeling good and getting their fix.

St. Paul's words are as necessary today for our time as they were for his. Read it again.  Let these words be the guide to true up right living. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIon1S1Das  for your listening enjoyment.



1 comment:

Mary said...

Loved this post Fr. As an ex-feminist, I have come to realize the importance of the "older woman". So many women don't see the most important role they have is taking care of their husband and children-the domestic church,food on the table, house orderly and clean. The family needs a place of refuge to nurture them as they navigate through all the craziness in the world-talk about a huge job. As older women it's our job to impart these ideas. Thanks for posting this, I don't see that many Catholic priests or bloggers writing about this issue. If each family took care of their domestic church, I don't think we would have so many societal problems.