Thursday, July 31, 2014

SUSCIPE

Today we celebrate the memorial of St Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits or the Society of Jesus.

He was a soldier then decided to become a soldier for Christ.

He developed what is known as the Spiritual Exercises, which over  a period of thirty days one meditates on the two standards, the standard of Christ and the standard of Satan.

In the process one is meant to be able to discern more clearly God's will and call for them in life.

At the end of the spiritual exercise, St Ignatius included additional material for the 'contemplation for attaining love."

Here St Ignatius speaks of the immeasurable love of God that is bestowed upon all of creation, and then asks what he might offer to such a loving God.

First one must call to mind the blessings of creation and redemption and special favors one has received.

One should ponder with great affection how much God our Lord has done for us, how much he has given us, how much the same Lord desires to give himself to us according to his divine decrees.

Then we reflect upon ourselves and consider, according to all reason and justice, what we ought to offer the Divine Majesty, that is all we possess and ourself with it.  Then we make the offering:

Receive, O lord, all my liberty.  Take my memory, my understanding, and my entire will.  Whatsoever I have or hold, you have given me; I give it all back to you and surrender it wholly to be governed by your will.  Give me only your love and your grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more. 

No comments: