Friday, October 29, 2010

Opening prayer

All week long at mass we have been praying the same opening prayer. The repetition of the prayer has slowly been penetrating the hardness of my heart and darkness of my mind. In a subtle way it has invited me to stop and think about what I do and how I do it.

Here are the words of the prayer, "may we do with loving hearts what you ask of us and come to share in the life you promise."

There it is! It is not a dramatic request but it is precise.

May we do with loving hearts what you ask!

What is a loving heart?

I have realized that often the heart I wear on my sleeve is not as loving as it needs to be.

God promises in the OT to give us a fleshy heart to replace the one of stone.

A fleshy heart that is capable of lovingly carring out His request.

I long for that gift.

Come holy Spirit renew our hearts and make them hearts of flesh like the heart of Christ who took our flesh to show us what a heart of love looks like.

No comments: