Sunday, September 26, 2010

return the favor

Amos 6:1,4-7; Psalm 146 Praise the Lord, my soul; I Timothy 6:11-16; Lk 16:19-31


As we read the story of the rich man and the poor man, the one who dines sumptuously daily with his purple garments (guicci shoes and armani suits) and the one who covered with sores can only get the pity of dogs, two questions comes to mind...

1)Why does God allow there to be poor people? Often times, many will ask me this question. Father, they say, if God is love then why do people suffer, why is there poverty in the world, people who are hungry, thirsty, sick and fill in the blank. Why poopr people?

2)What would get the rich man out of hell? Perhaps this question is more immediate, more pressing, more urgent. Besides, in the words of JEsus, "the poor you will have with you always!" But, Hell, now that is something worth talking about.

Why poor people? What would get the rich man out of Hell?

Hang on to these questions as we move forward.

I often spend a lot of time reflecting on my experience at home with family as a source of insiration and also a source of wisdom. I learn much from my family continually.

Growing up I was somewhat of a rebellious child. My father and I never saw eye to eye. I was the obstinate kid that did not want to learn what my father had to teach.

So we were often butting heads.

There is one lesson I do remember though at the time I often didn't understand and seldom agreed with but it continues to guide me in life.

My father was quite the handy man. He could do anything from building homes, plowing fields, making hay, raising corn, tending to animals, fixing vehicles, plumming and the list goes on.

He was a jack of all trades and for the most part a master as well. I never gave him much credit but looking back I realize it was my youth that blinded me.

My Dad had a rule about life. He would never take payment for service rendered. If someone needed him to fix their roof, or replace a sink, build a home, harvest their crop, deliver them hay, round up the cattle whatever it was he never took payment for serving. UIf he did it was always just enough to pay for gas and nothing more.

It was frustrating to us boys because we were usually right their with him, sweating and toiling and taking up our day that could have been used with more interesting things like basketball, footbal, watching TV or simply doing nothing.

When we would complain about Dad not taking payment he would often say, son, there is going be a time when we need it and these people will be there to return the favor.
I always thought he was full of it. I always thought he was letting people take advantage of him.

Now that was my dad's rule of life. Do unto others, be generous because that is the only way to live.

We thought he was crazy. We grew up in society that told us you had to earn your keep and pay for services rendered.

Fast forward 2006. I was being ordained in Shiner. The whole city was coming out to see there native son humbled by the gift of the priesthood.

We were expecting the entire city of shiner to show up and not to mention others from various parts of where I had been.

It was going to be 1000 plus at the ordination. Usually, there is a reception afterwards. It fell to my family to provide the food that was going to welcome all of these people and feed them.

So I was calling aorund trying to find a caterer, someone to tend to the business of feeding. I called several people and they were all booked. I was runnign out of options. I called a local man who owned a resturant and also did catering. I had grew up with his sons. I knew him very well and his family as he did mine.

When I spoke to him about the situation, the people the food and payment and all that stuff, he stopped me on the phone and said these words, "David, your father practically built my house. He spent weeks of his life helping me get my house up for my family and he would never take any payment for it. So, let me take care of the food and drink as an opportunity to return the favor .

I was floored. This man was willing to feed 1000 people with brisket and all the trimmings simply so he could return the favor.

I mentioned it to my father and he simply smiled.

So much of life is returning the favor. We live out of the generosity of so many people. We have life out of the generosity of God himself. He simply invites us to return the favor.

What would get the rich man out hell? All he needed to do was to return the favor. He had been given so much, talent, treasure connections. All he needed to do was to take the time and talent and treasure and direct it outward. If he would have returned the favor by simply tending to the man at his gate, how different would the outcome have been.


Why do we have poor people? Perhaps they are they to give us the opportunity to return the favor, to be generous. Perhaps they are there to get us out of hell.

The distance between heaven and hell, the bossom of Abraham and the fires of torment is measured by the distance between ourselves and the poor that we always have with us.

Return the favor and in the end the favor shall be returned to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very uplifting Padre; you are sorely missed in these parts!