Friday, September 3, 2010

servants of the servants of God


Pope Gregory the Great.
Elected Pope in the late 6th sentury, Gregory was the first monk to be elected to the Chair of Peter. He had his hands in everything from corn prices to health care. But especially he was the Pope who sent St. augustine of Cantebury to bring christianity to England.

It was Gregory the Great who used the title of Servant of the servants of God to designate his office as Pope.

A little tid bit that is often not known. The reality or custom of saying "God Bless you" when someone sneezes or even making the sign of the cross over ones mouth when one yawns goes back to the time of Gregory the great. During the Roman plague, Pope Gregory asked that when people sneeze or yawn the above two things should accompany them becasue the plague was associated with sneezing and yawning. It was to usher in health and protection of God in time of crisis.



A few words from the Pope Gregory the great

"Who an I-what kind of watchmen am I? I do not stand on the pinnacle of achievement, I languish rather in the depths of my weakness. And yet the creator and redeemer of mankind can give me, unworthy though I be, the grace to see life whole and power to speak effectively of it. It is for love of him that I do not spare myself in preaching him."

“Since,” the Pope wrote Theodelinda, “since, then, by my own public profession you know the entireness of our belief, it is fitting that you have no further scruple concerning the Church of Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles. But persist in the true Faith, and ground your life on the rock of the Church, that is, in his confession: lest your many tears and your good works avail nothing, if they be separated from the true Faith. For as branches wither without a root, so works, however good they seem, are nothing if separated from the solidity of the Faith.”


Words from st.Paul

"I do not even pass judgement on myself; I am not conscious of anything against me, but I do not thereby stand acquitted; the one who judges me is the Lord. Therefore do not make any judgement before the appointed time, until the Lord comes, for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will manifest the motives of our hearts, and then everyone will receive praise from God." 1 corinthians 4:1-5

In the end the heart will be opened and we shall see what lies beneath...Saints will discover they were better than they thought and how much tye failed to see and the boastful will see just how much they overlooked and what they thought they saw wasn't what they were seeing afterall.

No comments: