Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stabat Mater dolorosa


1 corinth 12:31-13:13; Blessed the people the Lord has chosen to be his own Ps 33; John 19:25-27;

Our Lady of Sorrows.

It is strange on such a feast of the sorrowful mother that we have the reading from 1 corinthians, that upbeat description of love, "love is patient, love is kind, it is not jealous, it is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it doe snot seek its own interest, it is not quick tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over over wrong doing, but rejoice with the truth. It bears all things, endure all things, hopes all things. Love never fails.:


Now read it again, but this time look in to the eyes of the sorrowful mother standing at the cross. Read it slowly as you read the tears on her face, the sorrow in her heart, the pain and agony reflecting from her eyes.

Then hear the words of Paul again, "if I do not have love, I am nothing."

Only love knows sorrow. Only true love can experience deep sorrow. Perhaps Paul should have included this reality as well to round off the experience and depth that love brings to the human heart.

True love is not afraid of sorrow, it does not run from pain, but rather it stands at its side, "standing at the cross were his mother..."

Love never fails, but it does hurt and in hurting in transforms the world. Only love that is willing to endure pain can truly be redemptive.

So she stands at the cross, heart pierced, and she invites us to stand with her, for she is now our mother and we are her chidlren, "Woman, behold your son, then he said to hsi disciple, "Behold, you mother. And from that hour the disciple took her into his home."

She stands firm! Though her tears fall to the gorund she remains erect and steadfast, for she knows that indeed love never fails and she will discover that love is stronger than death. There is joy in sorrow if we let the sorrow pentrate our heart then the love of God that is waiting there will transform it as the resurrection transforms the crucifixion and thus love is consummated for the world.

At the cross her station keeping
stood the mournful mother weeping
close to Jesus to the last

Oh Sweet mother! font of love,
touch my spirit from above
make my heart with yours accord
make me feel as you have felt
make my soul to glow and melt
with the love of Christ my Lord.

Holy mother pierce me through
in my heart each wound renew
of my savior crucified.
Let me share with you his pain
who for all our sins were slain
who for me in torments died.
Let me mingle tears with you
mournign him, who mourned for me
all the days I may live

By the cross with you to stay
there with you to wee and pray
is all I ask of you to give.

Christ, when you shall call me hence
be your mother my defense
be your cross my victory
While my body here decays
make my soul your goodness praise
safe in heaven eternally. AMen


Meditation music: stabat Mater London Orchestra

1 comment:

Melon of Froy said...

Beautiful. Thank you for your insight and passion.